Saturday 30 January 2010

Lime tutorial and soft fimo

FIMO clay became very soft recently. That is either my hands are hotter now, or they changed the formula of clay. Even Fimo classic is very soft, not to mention Fimo soft. You don't want your clay to be soft when you are trying to make a cane :) A few days ago I had to make a lime cane for one order, most of which is translucent clay (Fimo soft). It was so soft, it reminded me a used chewing gum. So I had to leach out some oil of it: placed a thin sheet of clay between two sheets of paper, put a heavy box on top of the stack, and left it for a few hours. I didn't even have to pass translucent clay through a pasta machine. I have just stretched it with my fingers.

After a few hours I have managed to make a lime cane:

7 comments:

  1. I've been practicing my caning recently, and know what you mean about Fimo Soft translucent; mine is almost gooey right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you found success with leaching the clay for the lime cane. I appreciate the photos of your making it. I'm not a caner and I always am fascinated to see how the little component steps add up to a beautiful and realistic cane.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've noticed the same thing with both. I can't even use the fimo soft- I sculpt and everything smooshes down. Fimo classic isn't is so firm either, worse it's still crumbly and doesn't go thru a pasta machine well.
    Enough of my ranting- I love the lime cane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing! I could do this??! But let you the Master do it lol! So wonderful reading about thias, thank you for the insight!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was begining to think it was just me and my hot hands - I am glad to hear I am not the only one experiencing this problem. It is so much more difficult to get my finger prints out of my sculptures.

    ReplyDelete